Friday, January 9, 2015

Reuse, Create and Enjoy!



Recycling can take on many forms.  To reuse an item is not a new idea, as a matter of fact until recent times nearly every item was used and reused as needed.  Kitchen scraps fed the animals, bottles and jars were washed and used again, sacks became napkins, window treatments and even clothing.  At one time this was done because we had no choice, throwing away perfectly useful items was unheard of.  As time passed we had more money, cheaper items and a consumer based economy.  We daily toss items our ancestors would have used. 
            Of course as the pendulum swings, it is now trendy and modern to recycle.  It is also very easy as many neighborhoods offer services to pick up recyclable materials.  Composting, cooking regular meals from scratch, the buy local movement all help to cut back on what is dumped into our landfills.  A simple lifestyle is cheaper and easier on the planet as well.


            Today I recycled Christmas cards.  I saw the idea on a blog I follow about simple living.  Every year I save my Christmas cards because they are just too beautiful to throw away.  When my children were little we used the cards to cut out pictures for collages, to make post cards and once we tried to use contact paper and create placemats.  This year I made gift tags.  I cut out shapes, a main picture or a colorful section from each of my cards.  I left a spot to punch a hole for a ribbon, and tossed them in a box with my cheap sticker tags.  Next year at Christmas I will have designer style tags, and I won’t be hoarding stacks of Christmas cards anymore.

Reuse, Create and Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment